Nowadays, although aesthetic appearance and procedures seem to be important only for women, they are also important for men. Aesthetic surgery, especially for men due to the enlargement of breast tissues, is becoming increasingly popular these days.
What is Gynecomasty?
Gynecomasty can be defined as the expansion of breast tissue in men. In other words, gynecomasty, which is the growth of male breast tissue, emerges as a hard mass in the body starting from under the nipple spreading over the chest area. This condition, which is more common in young men than in older men, does not involve adipose tissue but is a case of enlarged glandular tissue. This condition, which is usually painless, can also be painful in some cases. In addition, in some cases, only one breast is affected, and in some cases both breasts may be affected.
What Causes Gynecomasty?
The causes of this condition, which is expressed as enlargement of breast tissue in men and which is encountered in many men, are as follows:
- Hormone imbalance: The most common causes of gynecomasty cases are the imbalances between sex hormones testosterone and estrogen. In particular, estrogen causes enlargement and growth of breast tissue.
- Overweight: Overweight or obesity, is one of the most common causes of gynecomasty. Weight gain can increase the levels of estrogen hormone that can cause the breast tissue to grow.
- Mother-to-Baby Estrogen transfer: In newborns, gynecomasty can also occur due to estrogen that passes from the mother through the placenta to the baby. However, this situation is temporary. This will disappear a few weeks after birth.
- Adolescence: Hormone levels change in both men and women during puberty. For example, a decrease in testosterone levels in men can enable estrogen to generate breast tissue growth. Therefore, breast enlargement may occur due to hormonal changes especially in adolescents.
- Ageing: Less testosterone and more estrogen are produced in men with the progression of age. Because of this situation, it is natural to see excessive breast tissue growth during advancing age.
- However, in addition to these reasons, side effects of certain drugs, excessive alcohol consumption or conditions such as kidney failure can also cause gynecomasty.
The Treatment of Gynecomasty
The subject of gynecomasty treatment is actually shaped according to the discomfort felt by people. This treatment is not always necessary. Especially in adolescence, this situation is seen as “temporary gynecomasty”. In fact it will pass spontaneously in about three years without treatment. Or if gynecomasty has been generated by used drugs, discontinuing the drug will reduce gynecomasty. If gynecomasty is caused by a sickness, it will spontaneously resolve after the sickness is treated.
The surgery option can be exercised if gynecomasty is not caused by a number of temporary causes or does not appear to be a seasonal annoyance, then. Because when advanced and sagging breasts occur, the skin above the breast tissue is removed with the operation. In the meantime, the nipples are reduced to the appropriate sizes and skin patches are placed where necessary. A very small scar remains after surgery. However, this is a minor concern for people who are uncomfortable with saggy and large breasts and want to get rid of them.
For men, gynecomasty surgery, which is the most definitive solution to the problem of gynecomasty, which can have quite negative psychological effects, provides a more fit and more aesthetic appearance. The operation takes about 1 hour and is available for everyone over the age of 17.